Rose Bruford College is launching a mentoring scheme to pair final-year students with graduates who have an established career in the performing arts industry. This scheme offers two levels of involvement for graduates who want to help support the next generation of actors and technicians.
- Ad-hoc mentoring and advice: many of our students simply want help and advice on an ad-hoc basis. Maybe they have a question about a particular career path or would like advice from a graduate who studied the same course as they do.
- Long-term mentoring: other students are interested in forming a longer-term relationship with an individual alumnus to help them throughout their final year, receive advice and support when it comes to their showcase or exhibition and continue to work with the alumnus in the first few months of his or her career.
Please note – if you are interested in entering a long-term mentoring relationship you will need to commit to meeting and communicating with your mentee over at least a twelve month period, through some relationships may last longer.
Although every relationship will be different, based on your own skills and experience and the needs of your mentee, you might end up:
- Providing work shadowing opportunities;
- Providing support and advice to a student preparing for their final show or exhibition;
- Making introductions and creating networking opportunities;
- Helping to prepare CVs or audition pieces;
- Discussing your own career path and experiences.
We would like to build up a bank of alumni who are willing to be contacted by a current student for assistance and others who are able to commit to a more intensive scheme. If you feel that you have skills that you can offer or have any questions please contact us.
Professional experience is a vital part of our students’ life at the college – a chance to gain practical knowledge and understanding of working life, and what is expected in a professional role.
We are always interested in finding more organisations and individuals willing to host our students and would like to hear from alumni who may be able to offer opportunities to our students. This may be a single day’s experience on your project or production, or longer placements and internships over the course of a few weeks or months.
If you are able to offer a placement or internship opportunity to a current student, or if you have any questions please contact us.