This is an opportunity for you to meet fellow students and hear guest speakers on opera - Dr John Andrews Opera Director (he spoke at Buxton), lighting in opera - Hansjörg Schmidt Director of Lighting, Rose Bruford College and study tips from Frank Trew (College Librarian) and Dr Jane Schopf.
Saturday 10 September
at Rose Bruford College
11am - 4pm
- Come and find out how lighting designers light opera - that science which illuminates our stages but which is little discussed. Hansjörg Schmidt, Director of Lighting at Rose Bruford College will share his knowledge with us.
- Do you know how to find all the texts you need? Do you know the full wealth of resources on the VLE? If you don't, then come and let Frank Trew, our College Librarian, show you the "secret" pathways to operatic essay material!
- Singers could not do what they do without the help of repetiteurs - those people who coach them through their parts and who know operatic works inside out as well as how the voice functions - come and hear an award-winning repetiteur share their knowledge and expertise of being one of these gems of the operatic world. Tbc
- How much of the history of English opera do you know? John Blow? Henry Purcell? Thomas Arne? Arthur Goring Thomas? Ethel Smyth? Giles Swayne? Thomas Adès? Come and hear Dr John Andrews expound on opera in England and learn about things you never dreamed of!
- What's the secret of writing good assignments? How do we address questions? What Study Aids are there to help you? Come and learn how to use all the knowledge gleaned from the rest of the day to make your assignments excellent!