96* UCAS points
* We may make you a lower or unconditional offer, based on prior experience and your potential demonstrated at interview.
The validated programme title for this course is BA (Hons) Performance Sound.
Explore our Sound Studios
This unique programme provides you with the skills to work as a sound designer, sound artist, live mixing engineer, studio manager, sound editor and sound operator.
Rapidly evolving technologies and changing audience expectations have greatly expanded the role of sound in performance, resulting in a growing demand for skilled and imaginative audio specialists. We will equip you with the creative, technical and organisational skills to be competitive in this fascinating area of the creative industries.
Graduates from this programme go on to work in theatre, concerts, corporate events, television, film, radio and live art.
• Daffyd Gough, Head of Sound, The Vaults Festival 2014
• Thyge Haarberg, Sound Designer, Made from Scratch Theatre Company
• Tasha Turan, Sound Assistant, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Theatre Royal Drury Lane
Students can visit a range of universities, theatres and companies for work placements and study exchange, including through the Erasmus grant scheme in Europe and our partner universities in the USA.
- Includes Work Placement
- Mode of Study: Full Time
How to Apply
We are still actively recruiting for our 2018 entry and we would welcome your application. UCAS will categorise your application as late but we are very happy to accept such applications and can guarantee you an interview. If you have any queries or concerns then please do contact us on email@example.com.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
There is the opportunity for international students to study this programme as part of a semester or year abroad. Please click here for full details.
- UK/EU Students - £9,250
- International Students - £17,500
For this course International Students (non UK/EU) are eligible for a bursary of £2,000. Please enquire when you apply.
Please click here for information about Student Loans and Bursaries.
Please click here to view the Equipment List for this programme, which provides an indication of additional costs relating to the course.
As part of this programme you will share classes and projects with students from other programmes from the School of Design, Management and Technical Arts to learn about the performance, arts and events industries and how to use experimentation, enquiry and creative research in your work, and prepare to build a successful career.
Year 1 (Level 4):
- Introduction to studio techniques – microphones, recording, mixing
- Introduction to live audio techniques
- Sound in performance – the role of sound in live performance
- Creating sound installations in different spaces
- Research and analysis of performance and the theatre industry
Please click here to view our Level 4 module specifications
Year 2 (Level 5):
- Sound for theatre – designing, operating and managing
- Production practice: a role as sound designer on a live production
- Production practice: a role as sound operator on a live production
- Sound automation and interaction – interactive control systems for performance and installation
- Live sound production – audio for live music
- Research and context
Please click here to view our Level 5 module specifications
Year 3 (Level 6):
- Independent research project
- Professional preparation
- Industry study – researching the industry through a work placement
- Sound practice – one or more roles on live performance projects, as sound designer, operator, manager or sonic artist
- Graduate exhibition
Please click here to view our Level 6 module specifications
Please click on the links below to download: