Professor Robert Ely was appointed the fifth Principal of Rose Bruford College in 1993 after a career in theatre and education covering approximately twenty years. His work in design was exhibited at the Victoria and Albert Museum in 1978. After many years of innovative and pioneering theatre work and training, he founded the Arden School of Theatre in 1989.
A former student of the Metropolitan University of Manchester and the University of Salford, he was appointed a Professor in 1996 and a Distinguished Honorary Professor of Theatre by Stephen F Austin University in 1997. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and a member of the Institute of Directors. In 1997, he was given the Freedom of the State of Texas for services to education.
Rose Bruford College Key Achievements
- 1994: Introduced BA programmes in Stage Management, Lighting Design, Costume Production, Scenic Construction & Stage Properties and Music Technology.
- 1996: The Rose Theatre was completed.
- 1997: The University of Manchester became the validating body for all Bruford courses.
- 1998: Launch of the European Theatre Arts BA (Hons) and a BA in Sound and Image Design.
- 1999: Launch of the American Theatre Arts BA (Hons) and the MA in Theatre Practices and Research Degrees.